What do I do if:
1. I open my fridge and I’ve got no fresh ingredients but some mushrooms that are about to spoil and an onion?
2. All the other ingredients for making soup are at my disposal?
I make Cream of Mushroom Soup!
Lovely Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
3 tbsp diced onions
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tbsp butter
1/2 tbsp rendered bacon fat (bacon grease for the unacquainted)
3 tbsp flour
3 tsp thyme
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup of heavy cream
salt/pepper to taste
Shredded swiss cheese (optional)
1. In a saucepan, heat butter and rendered bacon fat. Sautee the onion until clear, then add garlic and cook until fragrant.
2. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add thyme at this step.
3. In a separate container, mix the flour and beef broth until smooth. Then add to mushrooms on the stove.
4. Boil/Cook until mixture is thick.
5. Stir in heavy cream and add salt/pepper to taste.
6. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Ladle into bowls, garnish with swiss cheese